Monday, June 27, 2011

First crush



Cupid aimed his arrow at Caden and now my son is "in love" with an older woman. Her name is Melanie and she's 7 years old.

"Mommy, I love Melanie and I want to marry her," my doe-eyed 5-year-old told me on a recent afternoon. "I want her to be my wife."

Oh boy. I knew this day would come, I just had no idea it would come so soon. How could my firstborn, who has never talked about the opposite sex before, already have feelings for a girl? He's my baby! And who is this Melanie, anyway? Does she have good parents? Is she nice to Caden? Is she smart, beautiful, creative, talented? Does she have good teeth? But more importantly, am I not the one who's supposed to be Caden's "one and only" gal?

One day, perhaps 20 years from now, Caden will bring home the girl of his dreams and announce to us that she is his bride-to-be. I suppose that gives me a good two decades to prepare. 

For now, I will take this first crush (and subsequent crushes) in good stride and remember that right now I am his one and only gal.