Thursday, October 31, 2013

A very merry Howe-lloween


Halloween 2013: My favorite Halloween family
channeling their inner-Kill Bill

The Howe family never disappoints on Halloween. Each year I look forward to seeing what costumes they've come up with. I log onto Facebook and faithfully wait for their portrait to flash across my Newsfeed. Well, today proved to be just as exciting and delightful (and brilliant) as years past.  

For this fun-loving LA family (Jeremy, Lily and their kids 5-year-old Wyatt and 3-year-old Melody), it all started in 2010 with Superman II

Halloween 2010: (L to R) General Zod, our hero Superman
and kick-ass villainess Ursa. Which leaves Baby Melody as 

Non, the third (and very adorable) Kryptonite criminal. 


In 2011, an homage to some of Steven Spielberg's best characters:

Halloween 2011: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
Two-year-old Melody as demonic priest Mola Ram is my favorite.


Last year, WWF. 

Halloween 2012: (L to R) Rowdy Roddy Piper, Macho Man Randy Savage, Andre the 
Giant and Jake the Snake. Is there anything this family can't pull off? I think not.

"Jeremy and I just pick things we really love," Lily says about finding inspiration for their costumes. "It's a lot of thrift store trolling for me, some sewing and so much black duct tape."

When she's not hunting for cheap fabric in downtown LA's garment district, Lily will also rummage through her own house for ideas. Her Kill Bill costume, for example, was an old sheet she had once used as a drop cloth to paint daughter Melody's bed. Wyatt's robe was leftover fabric from the curtains in the kids' room ("Turned inside out, which is why there is a polka dot pattern on the inside!" Lily says).    

I admire the crazy amount of creative energy this foursome puts into Halloween. And how can you not love the fact that little Wyatt and Melody get so into it? I mean, look at those poses!

Keep 'em coming, Howes. We're counting on you.