Thursday, February 20, 2014

I'll have a penicillin cocktail, please


Numb your cold symptoms with this bad boy.
(Photo: Milk & Honey/Sam Ross)


The bad news is I'm still battling this awful cold. It's been one of those stuck-in-bed with both nostrils plugged kind of deals. Where just sitting up is a chore and menial tasks like washing your face or walking up the stairs completely zaps your energy.

The good news is today I can breathe through my right nostril and my head doesn't feel like a balloon anymore. And outside my bedroom window it's raining. Not snowing. Also, I've switched from drowning myself in peppermint tea to sipping my favorite English Breakfast kind. So there is a rainbow somewhere amidst this bleak, brutal winter.

Whilst sick, I came across this wonderful recipe for a magical elixir called the Penicillin Cocktail. Invented by bartender Sam Ross of NYC’s Attaboy, it’s the perfect blend of sweet and sour with the added benefit of kicking your cold right in the ass.

Move over, Nyquil.

_________________________________________________________________

Penicillin cocktail
(adapted from Sam Ross' recipe)

What you'll need:

  • honey syrup (1 oz honey dissolved in 1 oz warm water)
  • 1/2 tsp minced ginger (using a garlic press)
  • 3/4 oz lemon juice
  • 2 oz Scotch whiskey


What to do:

  • In a shaker mix honey syrup, ginger, lemon juice and whiskey. Top with ice. Shake, strain over ice and garnish with sugared ginger. Drink up and be well!  



Click here for a Penicillin Cocktail tutorial, courtesy of Sam Ross himself.