Wednesday, October 22, 2014

This week's obsession: mad about plaid


Plaid will never go out of style. Thank goodness the Scots created this unique cloth pattern to help them distinguish one clan from another. Because some 500 years later plaid is ubiquitous (lumberjacks, punks, grunge, preppies, hipsters, Alexander McQueen, Vivienne Westwood, etc.). 

I think what I love most about plaid is its association with rebellion. In fact, in the 1700s tartan was illegal in Britain (Brits were forbidden to wear it because of the Scottish Rebellion of 1745). Plaid is badass.

Show me a girl who likes plaid and I'll tell you she has an inner wild child. Here are a few of my favorite plaid finds this season:


What's not to love about a red plaid scarf? I love this cashmere number from J. Crew.



I recently added this to my wardrobe: a cute shirtdress from Madewell (which I was delighted to find in a post from one of my favorite blogs). I usually wear mine with a belt and if it's cold out, I'll pair it with my favorite jeans.

      

And this pump! I can see it with cuffed boyfriend jeans and a crisp, white button-down shirt. Or black skinny jeans and a black body-conscious turtle neck.

The best thing about plaid: there are no rules. Find your rebel streak and have fun!


Top photo by Julia Robbs for A Cup of Jo.
A brief history of plaid. (Bustle)