Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Hello, New York


Up in the air: the view from my window at 5,000 feet. 

Every time I return to New York it feels like a homecoming. The moment I see all those magnificent buildings reaching for the sky, something comes over me. Excitement? Exhilaration? The feeling that truly anything can be accomplished? It's that and hope, wonder, ambition and a dash of agitation (I just wanna get things done now!). 

I'm here because I'm going out on a limb. After sending my credentials and portfolio of work to dozens of editors in this city and hearing nothing but crickets, I decided to shift my game plan. "Screw it," I said to myself. "I'm not going to wait for opportunity to happen. I'm gonna make it happen!" My daddy told me sometimes you gotta do a little crazy to make it work like crazy. You know?

So I reached out to every place I'd want to work, (said a lot of prayers), hopped on a plane and here I am. I'm looking forward to how this week unfolds. Wish me luck...