Monday, August 12, 2013

Til death do us part (essay contest)


I'm sad to report that these pants no longer exist.
Yes, they finally died. RIP, Melty Pants.

What is one item of clothing you cannot part with? For me, it was my Melty Pants. I wrote about these illustrious trousers back in 2010, when they were still in existence. I'm sad to say they no longer take up space in my drawers. 

What happened? Well, they melted.

The cloth covering my bum literally disintegrated. What started off as tiny pinholes quickly devolved into large openings until sewing the gaping holes didn't work anymore. There's only so much you can salvage, especially when the material starts bunching up around your posterior in the most undignified sort of way.

So I threw them out and I haven't found a replacement since. (I did cut the lower legs off of my favorite sweatpants, as seen in this selfie... They do the job. But they're still not as soft and magnificent as my Melty Pants.)

What about you? Do you have your own a pair of Melty Pants? Or a favorite T-shirt, jeans, sweatshirt, jacket, sweater, etc. that has been with you in good times and in bad, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, through sickness and in health, til death do you part?

I wanna read about it. Send me a short essay, 250 words or less, and tell me about the special bond you share with this item. Every piece of clothing has a story to tell.


*Send your submission to jcsalaff@gmail.com
**Submission deadline: August 31.
***Winner will receive a $50 Threadless gift card.