Tuesday, July 15, 2014

This week's obsession: argan oil


We've been in California for a few weeks now and while it's been wonderful for my tan, I'm afraid my hair will tell you a different story. 

Relaxing poolside (read: overexposure to chlorine) and that fierce and often unforgiving California sun are frying my locks. My hair feels crunchy and the highlighted parts resemble hay. Definitely not a good look.

"You need this," my cousin Cindy said as she handed me a small bottle of organic argan oil. I've been using this for a week and I love it. My hair feels soft and it looks so much healthier. And I've been slathering it on my skin, too. 

Argan oil has been enjoying a lot of attention in recent years. Originating in southwestern Morocco, the oil comes from the nut of the argan tree (which is endangered and under protection under UNESCO). The tree's specific growing area and the painstaking techniques used by local Berber women to extract the oil from the argan kernels make argan oil one of the rarest in the world. 

A little goes a long way. I use a small handful (about 1 tbsp) and comb it through my hair with my fingers (the key is to use it on dry hair). Put on a shower cap and let the oil work its magic for 30 minutes. Then shampoo and style as usual. You'll notice a difference right away.

Try it and let me know what you think!            


10 beauty tricks with argan oil. (Mind Body Green)