Thursday, September 3, 2015

Dog days of summer (beauty edition)


I'm melting, I'm melting! said the ice cream as he pitifully dripped onto the scorching pavement below. Said the overworked, underpaid air conditioning wall unit. Said the poor woman (me!) sweating profusely as she applied her makeup.

These last days of summer -- marked by lethargy, inactivity and indolence -- kinda make me feel like life is in a constant state of slow motion. The simplest actions inside our 100-year-old, non-air conditioned house (walking, standing, sleeping, breathing) feel laborious. Some people don't mind the humidity. I, for one, seek refuge inside the nearest building blasting cold air.

But on the bright side, the dog days of summer mean some of my favorite things (iced coffees, a chilled glass of Chardonnay, long walks with the husband, watching my kids ride their bikes around the neighborhood as the sun sets). 

And these Fab Five (clockwise from top left):

  1. Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee: A few swipes on the apples of the cheeks and you suddenly go from sweaty to pretty
  2. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Coral: A juicy burst of color, not heavy like a regular lipstick and (bonus!) has a fresh, lemony scent. I'm obsessed with these. Also lovely in Cherry. 
  3. c. Booth Tahitian Monoi Dry Oil Spray: I love misting my body post-shower with this light, feathery oil instead of slathering on heavy creams or lotions.
  4. Sephora Blotting Films: Because no self-respecting woman wants her face to look like an oil slick.
  5. Acure Brightening Facial Scrub: I use this three times a week and it's fantastic! Made with organic sea kelp, French green clay and lemon peel.


Kim France's summer makeup update. (Girls of a Certain Age)