Monday, September 14, 2015

Overalls, three ways


Overalls are back! Well, for this gal with Midwest roots they never went out of style (I guess you can take the girl out of Iowa but you can never take Iowa out of the girl!). 

This fall trend is a tricky one because overalls by themselves are not chic. Dowdy, shapeless and utilitarian -- yes. Modern, fashion-forward and feminine -- no. But perhaps these three looks will change your mind.

The most important thing is the fit.

Look for a pair that will flatter your figure. "Skinny" overalls that are fitted in the waist and slim in the legs will be your best bet. The pair I'm wearing are Mossimo denim overalls from Target (cheap and chic at $34.99). This pair from Madewell is super cute, as are these from J.Crew and Anthropologie.  

Look #1 (above)
My favorite thing to do when I get dressed is to do something unexpected. Who would think a polka dot button-down shirt would coordinate well with overalls and red suede pumps? It's a fun way to simultaneously dress up overalls and dress down high heels. The pumps are from Aldo (no longer available), but you can find similar heels at Target and if you want to break the bank Saint Laurent has a killer pair!

Look #2 (below)
Overalls with a ruffled silk blouse and pointy-toe flats. I love this look because it's versatile. You can do school drop off, casual Friday at work, and date night -- all in one day. By the way, these cobalt blue Sam Edelman flats are everything!     


Look #3 (below)
Admittedly, this look is a bit more Farmer John. But I would take my kids to the playground or run errands in this outfit. My best friend designed this fitted sweatshirt when she worked at Nordstrom, back in the day. You can find something similar, like this shrunken sweatshirt from Urban Outfitters. And you can do no wrong when wearing leopard print slip-on sneakers! Mine are Kenneth Cole Reaction (sadly, sold out) but Vans and H&M make them, too.  




How do you like to wear overalls? 

Send me your looks. I wanna see!


Navy nails and my big hair makeover.