Thursday, September 2, 2010

Drive-thru bliss



Sleep-deprived mom + Starbucks drive-thru = hallelujah moment.
(Illustration by Leann E. Johnson) 

When Starbucks started opening drive-thru cafes in my neighborhood, I scoffed. "Who the heck would be lazy enough to stay in their car for a latte?" I said to myself as I drove past one. "It's tantamount to fast-food culture. So uncouth."

Of course, I was very judgmental before I had kids. Now, as a parent of two young children, I get it. I love it. Heck, I will say praises about Starbucks' drive-thru 'til I'm blue in the face. When you're an on-the-go mom, sleep-deprived and in a I-must-have-caffeine-or-I-feel-like-I'm-gonna-die kind of mood, then the drive-thru is your Hallelujah moment. Add to that sleeping kids in car seats and drive-thrus become imperative.

Now, if they only had drive-thru boba...