Friday, July 15, 2011

Opposite day


Yesterday's dialogue with my son:

Me: Hey Caden, did you know that Jesus said, "The first will be last, and the last will be first?" What do you think he meant by that?

Caden: (long pause) "That it's opposite day?!"

I love the fact that children seem to have a more grounded understanding of Scripture than adults (we complicate things). I love that Jesus tells us to be like children. I love how becoming a parent has helped me to understand why he said this.

The teachings of Jesus were countercultural in his day. Two thousand years later, they are still as revolutionary. Love your enemy (Matthew 5:44). To really live, you must die (Galatians 2:20). To save one's life, he must lose it (Luke 17:33). To be wise, we must become fools (1 Corinthians 3:18). To reign, we must serve (Matthew 25:21). To be exalted, we must be humble (Matthew 23:12).

Indeed, to the world, Christianity is "opposite day." Caden's insight is spot-on.