Thursday, January 5, 2012

When in doubt, write write write



As I’m looking over this blog, I am equal parts proud and disappointed. I am proud that I’ve logged in a good portion of hours writing, musing, expressing, observing and ranting. But I’m disappointed because I could have written more—given the fact that I started this blog on April 08, 2010.

I posted 75 times in 2010. In 2011, I only posted 25 times. That’s a 67 percent drop in writing, musing, expressing, observing and ranting. If I were playing the stock exchange, I’m pretty sure those are terrible figures.

But the lack of posts is reflective of the kind of year it was. 2011 was a good, but hard, year. Good = it was another great year of marriage and friendship with my husband. Good = my kids continued to blossom. Good = my nephew was born. Hard = working full-time kicked my butt. Hard = my life felt out of balance. Hard = a lot of ups and downs, a lot of disappointments.

My life isn’t operating at its optimum level when I’m not writing. Writing is my therapy. It’s my outlet. It’s my way to gain perspective, and from that perspective I gain wisdom, understanding and appreciation.

This year, when in doubt, I will write write write.