Monday, September 24, 2012

My annoying Starbucks order

I'll have a tall, but in a grande cup... 

I always feel a little bit like Sally Albright whenever I give the Starbucks barista my annoying-as-hell drink order. 

Barista: What can I get you today?
Me: OK. This is what I'd like. You ready for it?
Barista: (giving me a weird look). Uh-huh. 
Me: OK, I'll have a tall iced green tea latte with soy milk-- but can you please put it in a grande-sized cup with extra ice? And no sweetener. Classic, please.
Barista: So you want that extra ice in another cup?
Me: No, extra ice IN a grande cup. But a tall size, please.
Barista: So, you want a tall green tea latte but extra ice in it, and in a grande cup?
Me: Yes. And soy milk... And did I mention iced?
Barista: Yep (he/she writes my annoying-as-hell order on my grande-sized cup).

My husband and I were recently at a Starbucks drive-thru when he ordered my drink for me. Poor thing. I kept interjecting as he was telling the barista what I wanted--the soy, the extra ice, that damned grande cup--until finally, exasperated, he made me shout the order out the window. 

It was just like that scene in "When Harry Met Sally" when Sally Albright, Meg Ryan's character, orders at the diner. 

Sally: I'd like the chef salad please with the oil and vinegar on the side and the apple pie a la mode.
Waitress: (writing the order down) Chef and apple a la mode. 
Sally: But I'd like the pie heated and I don't want the ice cream on top I'd like it on the side and I'd like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it, if not, then no ice cream just the whipped cream but if it's out of the can then nothing. 
Waitress: Not even the pie?
Sally: No, just the pie but then not heated.
Waitress: Uh-huh (ready to punch Sally in the face).




I'm a bit like Sally, I admit. I know what I like and how I like it. As much as my husband teases me about my Sally-ish tendencies, I think, like Harry, he's grown to love this idiosyncrasy. Thank God he still stays married to this tall iced soy green tea latte with no sweetener extra ice in a grande cup-loving girl. 


I know what I like and how I like it. Don't judge. :)