Monday, November 23, 2015

Getting ready for a long winter


We got our first snow of the season yesterday.

I have to admit I'm dreading winter this go around. You would think I'd be used to it by now (my third in Cleveland) but I don't think one ever gets the hang of it. Snow during Christmastime is wonderful and celebratory (Snowflakes! Hot chocolate! Sitting by the fire!). But snow and slush and below-zero temps in mid-January and dragging into March? Misery!

As I take a deep breath and prepare myself for another long, dark winter perhaps I should take some sage advice from the Norwegians, who endure months and months of snow, ice and often no sunlight! 

This helpful article offers lessons from the Far North. 

Do as the Norwegians do: change the way you think of winter. Instead of lamenting, "Oh! How I hate winter! I am depressed! Woe is me!" I can celebrate the things I can only do in winter. Light a fire, drink warm beverages, snuggle under fuzzy blankets, go sledding, build a snowman, feel snowflakes on my tongue.

Norwegians also have this great word to describe a sense of coziness: koselig

As winter approaches, I'm going to embrace koselig. I'll let you know how it goes.    


Fast Company article via Kottke.