Monday, April 19, 2010

Smell like a celebrity


These days if you're a celebrity, seems like a pre-requisite to offer the world your B-O. Your body odor in the form of a perfume or cologne, that is. I flip through my fashion magazines and see that everybody's doing it: Sarah Jessica Parker, Paris Hilton, Halle Berry, Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Mariah Carey, Usher, Sean "P. Diddy" Combs, Antonio Banderas, Faith Hill, Gwen Stefani, Reese Witherspoon, Kim Kardashian, Beyonce, Christina Aguilera, Celine Dion, Eva Longoria, Zoe Saldana, Tim McGraw, Carlos Santana, David Beckham and the newest member of the olfactory brigade-- Bruce Willis (hopefully, it won't be called "Die Hard").

As much as I hate the idea of buying a "celebrity perfume" (why would I want to smell like Paris Hilton?), I admit I have one sitting in my vanity. A few years ago, I was curious about Sarah Jessica Parker's debut fragrance, "Lovely" and found that it was, in fact, lovely.

I guess for a celebrity it makes sense: you're not only an actor/musician/athlete/reality-star/socialite, but you're also a brand. If everyone wants a piece of you, you might as well cash in. I call it low-hanging fruit. Plus, if the actor/musician/athlete/reality-star/socialite thing doesn't work out, you'll always have your B-O.