Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My brother-in-law: the Academy Award winner




My brother-in-law, Andres, is one amazingly talented illustrator and animator. He's one of the most creative people I know (he comes from a family filled with wonderful artists, musicians and designers). I know he's going to make waves in the entertainment industry-- and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

He is one of three winners of the 2010 Student Academy Awards. His film, "Lifeline," was one of more than 500 entrants. From the 500, the Academy members narrowed it down to eight finalists, and from eight, he recently found out that he's in the top three. That means he will take home the gold, silver or bronze at the awards ceremony on June 12.

Past Student Academy Awards winners have included Spike Lee, Robert Zemeckis, John Lasseter (Toy Story films) and Trey Parker (South Park). Andres is in good company.

"Lifeline" follows a grief-stricken scientist as he travels through space and time in search of his long-lost love. What moves me about Andres' film is not only the beauty, style and originality of the animation, but the profound story. We are all in search of our true love. We are all seeking hope and meaning in life.

I'm thrilled for my bro and I can't wait to celebrate with him on June 12.

Click here to check out this award-winning film.