Wednesday, April 23, 2014

On love



If I had a girls night out and could invite anyone, living or deceased, Susan Sontag would be at the top of my Evite. I would spend the entire evening picking her brain about art and pop culture and compare notes on things we find "so bad it's good." 

I came across this wonderful collection of illustrations inspired by Sontag's second volume of journals and notebooks. This quote, from On Love, is my favorite. 

              "Being in love means being willing to 
                ruin yourself for the other person."
                             
To love someone, to truly give yourself without expecting anything in return, to exchange selfish desire for sacrifice, to risk everything and all -- is to love. 


Illustration from "Susan Sontag on Love: Illustrated Diary Excerpts" by Maria Popova and Wendy MacNaughton. (Brain Pickings)