Wednesday, April 30, 2014

This week's obsession: yogurt drinks


It's hard to get my son to drink his milk. I don't know when it happened but one afternoon, I think when he was in preschool, he decided he didn't care for it anymore. Caden, who's now 8, has such a sensitive palate he can taste the difference between non-fat, 1%, 2% and my lactose-free milk. Admittedly, mealtimes can be a battle. 

But yogurt seems to be the neutral zone. He'll gladly have a small bowl at breakfast and even as a dessert after dinner. I recently discovered this wonderful concoction at Whole Foods and was immediately intrigued. I love Indian food and lassi, a traditional Indian-style yogurt smoothie, is heaven in a dairy drink. I brought two flavors home and presented them to Caden. In two minutes, he bottomed up the Mango Rosewater Lassi. 

Victory!

p.s. yogurt drinks are loaded with sugar so I offer it up as an incentive in addition to milk. Caden's not off the hook with the regular stuff.    


Why kids should drink milk. (The Washington Post)

And on the flip side, re-thinking the importance of milk. (US News & World Report)