Thursday, May 15, 2014

Spring cleaning: your makeup

Illustration by Arianna Alexis @ Cool Girl Style.

OK ladies, when was the last time you cleaned out your makeup drawer? If you're like me then you probably have an old tube of expired mascara lying around, crumbling eye shadows and (eeks!) tubes of lipsticks from years past.

Several months ago I suffered from an eye infection. Could it be my contact lenses? Tainted saline solution? Pink eye? I switched to a different contact lens cleaner and even saw an eye doctor. But the infection came back with a vengeance. Then one morning it dawned on me: my mascara! I tossed the old tube and voila! The next day my eye problems were resolved.

Don't get bloodshot, mucus-infected eyes like I did. Clean out your makeup! Toss the old and bring in the new. Here are some tips to help you get started:



lipstick
Generally, lipstick and lip pencils have a shelf life of 2 years. You'll most likely use it up before then (especially if it's your favorite)

Tip: If I've been sick, I dip my lipstick in rubbing alcohol then wipe off with a tissue (to kill the cold germs).



Mascara by Caroline Papadato.

mascara
Switch out your mascara every 3 to 4 months. Bacteria can build up on the brush which can lead to pink eye, infections and other gunk invading your eyeballs. Gross. 

Tip: Do the smell test. If your mascara has a funny odor it's mostly likely rancid. Toss immediately. 


Eye Shadow by Sara Singh.

eyeshadow
Liquid eyeshadows should be tossed after a year while powder eyeshadows will last up to 2 years. Eye pencils will also last 2 years.

Tip: Sharpen eye pencils before each use to prevent bacteria from spreading.



foundation/concealer
Liquid foundation and concealer will last between 6 months and a year. If you're using a pump then keep it for a year. If you're dabbing your fingers in a bottle every day, toss after 6 months.



Illustration by The Red Dot.

blush/powder
Cream blush should be thrown out after a year. Powder blushes and face powder can last up to 2 years.



Makeup Brushes by Elaine Biss.

brushes
I use a makeup brush to apply liquid foundation and I religiously wash my brush after every application. Just a little soap and warm water will do it. 


The power of makeup.