Monday, June 23, 2014

My first 5K


Ran my first 5K yesterday.

It didn't quite unfold the way I had anticipated, but it does make for a good story: I was supposed to wake up at 6:30 a.m. to meet my co-workers (this 5K was a team building activity) at a nearby nature preserve. Laid out my running clothes and sneakers the night before and though I was kind of dreading it (I've never run more than a few miles consecutively and I have horrible knees to boot), I was looking forward to seeing my friends.

I didn't hear my alarm. Woke up with a funny feeling like I was missing something, checked my clock and had an "Oh sh*t!" moment as I jumped out of bed. "Where are you miss?!" my friend Suzanna texted me at 7:58. Uh oh.

Well, better now than never. I showed up an hour and half late and missed my friends at the starting line, but gave it my best. Suzanna came back after she finished her own race and ran the whole 5K again with me (what a friend!). I'm not sure I could have finished without her. Thank you, Suz.

I have to admit I wasn't looking forward to this 5K, but now that I've accomplished it I feel like I can do even more than I thought. 

When's the next race?


6 reasons why running is good for you. (Runner's World)