Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Fall denim: a love story


Did you know denim first showed up on this planet when Italian textile workers started weaving blue jeans for Genoan sailors during the 17th century? Some 200 years later, Jacob Davis and Levi Strauss would invent blue jean overalls and riveted denim pants for miners and cowboys. Then in the 1950s, movie stars like James Dean and Marlon Brando would immortalize this hard-wearing twill-weave cotton fabric.

Ah, the blue jean. What could be a more ubiquitous fashion item?

Since we're on the subject, I'd like to share a few denim trends this fall. Some I'm super excited about. A few not so much.

patchwork jeans

I've been in love with patchwork since I was a little girl. There's something about the placement of cut-out mixed prints against soft denim. So much good fashion is about contrast. Maybe that's why I love this look. I'd pair mine with a romantic blouse and a pretty pair of heels.

In fact, I saw this pic and I'm on a mission to DIY my own pair of patchwork jeans (aren't they super cute?):


    

the jean skirt


Jean skirts are a great way to high-low an outfit. My favorite look is the pic on the left. Again, romantic blouse paired with pretty heels. Love.

overalls
I'm most excited about denim overalls making a comeback. For two reasons: 1) they look super cute on just about everyone, as long as you get the fit right -- not too baggy, but fitted (you don't want to look like a farmer!) and 2) overalls are always forgiving on the waistline (which is always a win in my book). 

mom jeans




Yes, you read that right. The mom jean is making a comeback. Say it ain't so!! The folks at Vogue are trying to make mom jeans "cool." I'm sorry but the light wash, wide leg and high waist isn't doing anyone any favors (not even for the rail-thin model in this video).

flares
I'm on the fence about flares. In some cases I get it (see photo of chic girl on the right). In most circumstances I don't see the appeal (see rest of the photos). 

What I can't stand most is when the flare is so big it engulfs the entire foot. Like this:


    
It kinda makes you say, "What happened to the poor girl's feet?" Even more of a travesty is if said girl is wearing a beautiful pair of shoes under there.

The always luminous Marilyn Monroe perhaps wore denim in the best way possible: casually, playfully, sexily and powerfully. Isn't this the best jean photo ever?














How about you? What's your favorite way to wear blue jeans?


These folks may have rocked mom jeans back in the day, but let us not repeat fashion mistakes from the past. (Huff Post Style)

Emily Current and Meritt Elliott of Current/Elliott tell their jean love story. (LA Times)