Monday, May 3, 2010

Would you wear Madonna's sunglasses?


Madonna's latest venture: sunglasses. Sunglasses? The singer-songwriter-dancer-record producer-"actress"-film director-children's book author-fashion designer-philanthropist is launching a line of eyewear this month with Italian fashion designing duo Dolce & Gabbana.

The MDG shades, ranging in price between $248 and $298, are nothing to get excited about. The designs vary from dark, oversized Jackie O-type sunglasses to sleek aviators (apparently, Madge co-designed them with D&G, but what does "co-design" mean these days? Did she sit down with a sketch pad and flesh out ideas herself, or merely sign off on designs she looked over and liked?). Yes, the glasses have Madonna's name on them, but honestly, you could probably buy a comparable pair at Target for $16.99.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to diss Her Madgesty. I've always been a Madonna fan. The first album I ever bought was "Like a Virgin" (I was 10 years old and my dad was horrified). I have every record from her self-titled one to "Hard Candy" (with the exception of "American Life;" I hated the single: Madonna rapping about soy lattes and driving a MINI Cooper and "feeling super-duper?"-- she lost so many cool points for that). But I wonder if all these side ventures-- the books, the clothes, the films-- take away from her music. Her last great album was "Ray of Light," back in 1998.

Dear Madonna: I'm waiting for another great musical work of art. Maybe you should stick to the songwriting and forget the sunglasses.