Thursday, May 29, 2014

This week's obsession: orange lips, cheeks and nails


Someone once told me never to wear orange. "It doesn't really go with your complexion," the lady at the cosmetics counter advised, referring to my Asian skin tone. "It'll make you look...well, tacky."

Perhaps it's my inner-rebel, but if you tell me I can't do something I will gladly prove you wrong. I've never been one to follow rules, especially when it comes to fashion. Stripes with polka dots? Yes. Denim on denim. A-OK. Orange with an olive skin tone? Let's do it!

Here are some of my favorites.

lips
Pretty as a poppy: (L to R) Clinique Chubby Stick in Oversize Orange; Benefit 
Cha Cha Balm in Sheer Mango; Nars Semi Matte Lipstick in Heat Wave.

cheeks
Orange blush: (clockwise from left) Origins Pinch
Your Cheeks in Coralberry; Tarte Cheek Stain
in Fearless; Nars blush in Orgasm.

nails
Tangerine dream: (L to R) Formula X for Sephora Nail Color in
Electric Cantaloupe; Essie Nail Lacquer in Tart Deco;
CoverGirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss in Go Go Mango.


Orange Crush poster by Walt Otto.